Wednesday, April 12, 2006

It's about time

It’s about time THIS finally showed up on our radar screens. Our moles inside the industry had alerted US to this latest development in media coverage surrounding horse racing. The Daily Racing Form is usually right on in keeping up with the outside world in terms of media coverage—maybe only a half-step behind.

With the added possibilities of folks linking here because of JOHN, I felt it was a good time to update ye’ olde site. I did have a nice picture of a spring-butterfly in my profile, but that has changed (or will change whenever blogger feels like registering it).

I know I have been remiss in posting anything worthwhile regarding the Derby, but to tell you the truth, I am not that into the yearly speculation that is the Derby.

Don’t get me wrong, I am truly in love with the whole Derby concept-fastest two minutes in sports, etc.-but endless jibber-jabber and dosage references and blood lines and distance questions never quite captures my attention.

Added to that, I am not even sure I’ll be able to watch the Derby live this year. On the first Saturday in May I will be in New Orleans for JazzFest. Ironically, I will be at The Fairgrounds, normally a good place to catch a race on TV. However, I am not sure if while attending JazzFest at FG I will be able to catch the race live; or worse yet NOT EVEN PLACE A BET!!

I have placed an inquiry to Churchill Mgmt. Via the Fairgrounds WEBSITE, but have heard nothing yet. Needless to say, I will not be posting any selections or predictions for this year’s Derby until PP’s are drawn Derby week.

Again, don’t get me wrong, Derby day is truly a great day for horse racing and EVEN America in general. However, the Super Bowl-ish hype and buildup leading up to it (ranging anywhere from 1-365 days) does not interest me much. I leave that up to the PROS

2 comments:

t said...

The last time I went to Fest, in 2004, the OTB was shut down. You could not place a wager. HRTV did have a booth there (this was before Churchill bought the property) with a couple bar sized televisions that you could watch the derby on. I ended up getting a bet down on Borrego thru the xpressbet phone service.

I also noticed that it is nearly impossible to get a reponse out of either of the big track owners when you submit via their sites. Only once in many attempts have I gotten a response, and it seemed to be a copy/paste form letter.

t said...

Nice call on Storm Treasure, I saw over at LATG. The place pool paid nicely.