Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Opening Day..

For those of you waiting for hump day, well it’s here.

And for those of you waiting for the start of summer horse racing (read: Saratoga/Del Mar) you are pretty much there.

Del Mar kicks off today, while Saratoga opens up next Wednesday. Being a native East Coaster, this time of year usually means preparing for 6 weeks of Saratoga. Since my permanent move west, however, I will be making my inaugural “Del Mar Delving” starting today.


And by the way, today the high temp. in Las Vegas is looking like 117, at Del Mar, the high was projected to be a comfortable 80 (with some clouds). Have you ever been in 117 degree heat? I have not, but would like to experience it for about 4 seconds. That would be plenty for me, thanks.

In today’s form, Brad Free makes some spot plays
  • Free’s Opening Day Picks

  • I offer you my spot plays for today’s opening card:

    4th Race: The 4 horse Perfect Mode has the highest last time out Beyer, while the 9, Dealers Choice is just one point behind (93-92) I can’t see the 9 hole fairing that well in a two turn mile race on the new turf course, so I’ll stay away from the morning line favorite (Dealers Choice). I love the 7 and the 8 also, but the 7 Fancy Foxtrot has more attractive times to me and is 3rd off the layoff looking to improve. Thusly, I like the 7 to win and hook him up in exacta boxes with the 4, 8, and 9.

    6th Race: Morning line favorite Eastern Sand looks tough to me in the first leg of the Oceanside (1Mile Turf). I like Eastern Sand and will box him in an exacta with the 7 (Avanti Avanti)

    My two personal favorites from today based on NAME ONLY:

    Runner up: LEO GETZ (#5 in the 6th race) What a fantastic name. If you don’t get it, then you better ax someone.

    Best Name of the Day: Yes, I can be a snob, (and even called elitist once or twice)but when I hear the name NO TORO (#6 in the 5th race) I have to laugh out loud. For anyone who loves (or even just likes) sushi, it seems every time you try and ask for the “fatty tuna” you get the same response from the Japanese waiter/waitress: “No Toro”.

    Classic.

    1 comment:

    Twba said...

    I lived through 124 degrees in Bullhead City, Arizona. It was not a fun day. The only saving grace was the airconditioned racebook at the Edgewater in Laughlin.