Thursday, November 16, 2006

APB Out on AvgHorsePlayer?

Where do the days go? I haven't posted here in almost a week now and I am beginning to feel embarrassed.

Huge (HUGE) props to my blogging brethren who have been kicking high-level ass over the past week. Every time I sit down to read and write, I come across another amazing post.

The past weeks have found me buried in research and preparation for one of the biggest events of my life.

Some of you already know this, but for those of you that don't...here goes:

Yours truly has humbly accepted an invitation to be a part of an upcoming panel at the 32nd Annual Symposium on Racing and Gaming hosted by the University of Arizona's Racetrack Industry Program.

The panel I will be speaking on is entitled, "The Blog: New Media Monster?

The moderator for the panel is Bob Wolff, VP - Public Relations, Robert Brandt and Associates. Here's a link to his company. If you click on the first "face" on the left, you can get more information on Mr. Wolff.

Other panelists will be:
Dr. Nora Ganim Barnes, Chancellor Professor of Marketing, University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth- Here's a link to Ms. Barnes' bio courtesy of UMASS-Dartmouth's website.

Stephen W. Dittmore, Assistant Professor, East Stroudsburg University - Here's a link to Mr. Dittmore's University of Louisville's Bio page and here's a link to Mr. D's resume.

If you're keeping score at home, that's one VP and two PhD’s. Hopefully I'll be able to hold my own, even though my highest level of completed education is a few years short of a Ph. D.

With only a Master's Degree under my belt, I hope to bring my recent real world experiences to the table to provide insight and focus to the meaning and future of blogs, Internet technologies and horse racing.

I've been working my tail off recently researching and putting together thoughts and ideas to bring to the table for this event. If anyone has any thoughts or ideas of their own that they think I should know about, please feel free to email me: drubin14@hotmail.com

In the meantime, I look forward to covering this industry with my fellow bloggers. Providing links, ideas, and opinions that the MS(HR)M are unable to provide is something that I know we all take very seriously.

Thank you for reading, and thank you all that have been supportive in this movement. The indsutry has a ways to go, but it looks like the powers that be are beginning to take notice. This is good news for everyone involved!

8 comments:

Superfecta said...

I have every confidence you will represent me and my two master's degrees with great dignity!

After all, if I ever did finish my PhD, it would be in archaeology again...not quite as marketable as 10 years in IT!

Seriously, it sounds like fun, enjoy!

John said...

Congrats. . .I am sure you'll do great. Many years ago I spent year at the U of A and was enrolled in the Race Track Mgmt Curriculum. I look forward to reading about your experience there and try the Chimichangas in the cafeteria and let me know if they are as good as I remember them :-)

Ruben Bailey said...

Thanks guys!! I will do my best to provide som eof the same type of coverage I did in Louisville.

Alan Mann said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Alan Mann said...

Sounds more like a panel on MENSA. Not to put any pressure on you. :)

If anyone outside this industy saw the title of that panel, they'd double over laughing. That's like, so, 2000! Shows you just how much they don't get it, and how much we need Ruben Bailey to show them the light! The hell with their fucking PhD's. And how can they not have a mainstream journalist on this panel??????????

Anonymous said...

David Rubin?

Ruben Bailey said...

Tis I....

Anonymous said...

good luck next week. make winadu alum proud. j.a.