Tuesday, October 31, 2006

9:15 AM

Already been out to the backstretch this morning and am now back on the 6th floor in the main building on the front side of the track. A few quick thoughts as I upload some of today's content...

-Even though Nick Zito's been doing the training gig for nearly as long as I've been alive, I don't think he's much of a morning person. I sideled up next to him at about 7 am this morning, and I will let you know that he was inn no mood to talk. In fact, he was in no mood to say much of anything!!

-It is only Tuesday and the pace is definitely picking up around here. The Euros - horses, trainers, media, hangers-on, etc. - are coming at what seems to be a rate of 20 at a time, the trucks and trailers are beginning to fill parking lots, and I spotted Randy Moss for the first time on the backstretch

-Thanks quickly William C. Rhoden of the NY Times for letting me use his spot here in the press room this morning

-Today is the media day luncheon to be held at The Muhammad Ali Center in DT Louisville. Not sure what it's all about, but there is a press conference and cocktails, so I think I will head over there in a few hours and see what's up.

-Be back in a few with some media for you to check out.

-BTW, the weather today feels about 10-15 degrees cooler, and the outlook for this afternoon is a little rain, but the rain doesn't look like it will last long or be too hard. It also doesn't appear to show up again for the duration of the week...

-Finally, I just want to say that local tv news is just plain awful - no matter what city you're in. Whether it's Portland, Louisville, or NYC, it all stinks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pictures and write-up's you are doing. I'm looking forward to reading more.

Cheers

Anonymous said...

It's possible that Zito was discouraged by your presence at 7 a.m. because he was trying to do his job. If you'll notice, most reporters talk to trainers either during the renovation break or after training hours.

Ruben Bailey said...

That's funny anonymous - and true!! I was thinking the same thing. In fact, my only words to Mr. Zito were, "Good morning". After a few minutes went by, several others also engaged him by only sying either hello or good morning with barely a grunt in return!!

I did no approach him as a reporter, keeping my distance in deference to him (and others) who were/are trying to do their jobs.

In fact, as a first time journo here, I am struggling with finding that balance. When is it ok to approach these guys in the am?

The disadvantage I have is that most other indutry vest have established relationships so speaking with them is not such a big deal. For me however, it is a bit trickier.