Friday, October 27, 2006

Brief update....

Come tomorrow evening, I'll be settling into my week long headquarters - at The Breckenridge Inn. The past few days have seen me "hittin' the books" as hard as I have since 8th grade Chemistry. For a major ADD-er like myself, I hope you realize how much of struggle its been to read, write, organize, contact, prioritize, read more, organize more. Not that I'm complaining. No, this is no time for complaints. Right now, this industry is at a key point in determining its future.

There is a furor going on right now across the blogosphere questioning the current marketing efforts for this year's Breeders' Cup. Like I said, right now is not my time to complain. I am too busy making sure my ducks are all in a line.

Preparation for the coming week is my life. In fact, I couldn't be happier. For a mellow, Pacific Northwesterner, the adrenaline rush provided by the stress and preparation crush fuels me and makes me as excited as I've been in a long while.

Cameras, mics, chords, batteries, computers, pens, pads, earpieces, et. al. are scattered about, awaiting there proper travel arrangements. Those however, will have to wait until later tonight to receive their official positions for the trip to Louisville (where according to Weather.com, it is currently 55 degrees).

I definitely plan on addressing the marketing/promotion issue that is lighting up the information highway - even garnering responses from officials at certain national horse racing outfits. I will say though, that in my heart if there is any blame to be cast it is clearly with the NTRA and much less so with ESPN; like I said more from me on that later.....

...stepping away from this post and re-focus on organization!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am blissfully unaware of the furor over the marketing effort in the blogoshpere but would love to hear more and perhaps respond as one of the principals in the effort

Ruben Bailey said...

Thanks for checking in Chip.

Basically I was reffering to these posts:

http://exaggeratedreaction.blogspot.com/2006/10/ntra-breeders-cup-publicity-whos-seen.html

http://leftatthegate.blogspot.com/2006/10/espn-to-rally-to-promote-cup.html

http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=21166659&postID=116195864366520331


I know all parties are working their hardest on promotion, but sometimes it seems there isn't that cohesive, expansive outreach.

I am from the pr/advertising world, and I think a week lead-up is not nearly enough to tap into demos that may not even be aware what the BC or when it is!!

Any complaints or creative ideas from me, are geared more towards a year round effort attempting to get new fans to the track, creating a new found excitement for the sport and bringing in the fresh, young blood to help propel the sport forward....